They say that high school is preparing you for college. Wrong. I am currently still in high school but I am taking post secondary classes. I found that college is nothing like high school. I study at least 6 more hours a week, I always feel unprepared and behind, and if you don't take notes or have a good memory you are, for better words, screwed. At high school it was easy for me to get good grades. I did my work while in class, I knew my teachers so I could ask questions when needed, and I got constant reminders from teachers when things were due. College is nothing like that. I can't do my work in class because we don't get "free time" and I take tons of notes, I don't know my professors personally so it isn't as easy to just go talk to them, and many teachers give little warning when things are due. Yes, granted we have a syllabus but it is hard to adjust from getting verbal reminders. I like to call the teachers at high school babysitters. I come from a small school of only 400 high school students and the teachers there know you personally and have probably had you or a sibling in class before. The teachers give reminders, give extensions, hints on questions, make the work easier, and review the homework with you. Sounds pretty easy to pass right? It was.
I always thought that college would be just like high school, but with less babysitting and more studying. How wrong I was. Don't get me wrong, I love doing post secondary, but when high school teachers say they are preparing you, I feel like they shouldn't baby so much and prepare us more.
This is a great topic to write about. I feel the same as you do, Kate. I think high school and college are two opposites. Like you said in high school teachers give reminders, extention, and hints on questions and in college this doesn't happen as much. It's hard to imagine that two years ago I barely studied for my tests and I excelled easily. Now I find it hard to get an A in any of my nursing classes that I study triple the amount of time I did in high school. I think high schools these days really need to put more effort into teaching and prepare students better for the future.
ReplyDeleteYeah, I agree with you Katie. I'm fresh out of high school and all they did was baby everybody. I had only one teacher that made me work up to the college level and that was during my senior year in english.
ReplyDelete