Thursday, February 10, 2011

"You don’t know what you have till it’s gone”

“You don’t know what you have till it’s gone” (Joni Mitchell).
     As you grow up you learn to take your parents for granted. You use them for rides, money, food, to get new clothes, have them take care of you, help you with homework, or even for them just to be around. I know it’s not as common anymore, but I grew up with two parents in a loving home. Then the day came when my father got a call. He was being called back into active duty for the Army Reserve. For several years my father was away in different parts of the world, places like Kuwait, Australia, Japan, and New York City. Growing up my father was always there for me. We had this thing where every night, I would read and he would make me chocolate milk before bed. He was like our personal chef; he always had great ideas for dinner like pizza pockets,  new things to try with noodles, and he always knew how I like my PB&J sandwiches. When he left, I  didn’t have that anymore. Granted I was in fourth grade, but not having my father there for me was harder than I thought. I never realized how much of a daddy’s girl I was until my father wasn’t there.

1 comment:

  1. Loved your post! Being a daddy's girl never goes away, trust me. I am living proof. I think that you are lucky that you have learned at such a young age not to take for granted what great support and leadership our parents can be. Treasure you times together, life has a funny way of rushing by.

    ReplyDelete