For most teenagers and even adults, summer time has always been the best time of the year. It’s the same for me. Granted, my summers are not full of beaches, tanning, pool parties, and being with friends all summer. I work at a boy scout camp called Camp Lakota in Defiance. I know, crazy right. A teenage girl working at a Boy Scout Camp. But actually it’s one of the most enjoyable things I get to do. I’m not there for the other staff members. I am there because I get to teach these young boys how to turn into proper men. The y learn not only how to do outdoor things, but they lean manners, how to respect their elders, how to spend time to productive things, and how to actually contribute to society in a positive way. I worked there for the first time last summer. It was truly amazing the things I saw these boys learn. I distinctly remember one little boy. He started camp with this terrible attitude. I mean, just downright awful. He was rude to the adults, did not care what was happening and only wanted to play is Nintendo. By the end of the week, you couldn’t recognize that boy. He was polite, had great manners, and no longer remembered about his game. He had realized that there were better more important things going on. He didn’t do it just because a counselor had asked, he did it because he admired what the other people around him were doing. I have no doubt that this summer will help yet another boy turn into a better man.
This is truly amazing! I hope you will continue to help these young men!
ReplyDeleteThat's really great that you can help those boys become men who are productive, polite people. Have fun with it this summer!
ReplyDelete